Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanks and Giving

There's a blog I follow DeFiNe NoRmAl by Moody who has inspired me to write something about Thanksgiving. She posted of things people would usually take for granted or not think about.

So I can't copy her but I do have some things for which to be thankful.

Some of you who know the history of Cathy and my life over the last 2 years may wonder why I should be thankful. Cathy lost her job of 17 plus years as an executive with Pepin Heart Hospital in Tampa Florida with a 6 figure salary. Having lived in that life style to say it was quite a shock is an under statement. But.....thankfully she found a job - 1/2 the salary and 70 miles away but gas is coming down hallelujah.
And were making it.

Then the next year I was out of work with several heart attacks and congestive heart failure, and an ICD implant, thus loosing my job. I'm on the mend thank you God.

I have been surrounded by friends and family giving me support.
I found a church that's also supporting me.

I will be having a bodacious feast with my family.

Now the giving ...I want to give back to the community for giving back to me. There is an organization called " Mended Hearts" where people like me who have had the kinds of heart problems that I have had go and visit patients in the hospital and share their story. And explain what emotions the patient may expect to go through. And answer question in layman's terms. Face it most Dr's. have not gone through open heart surgery or any other heart problems and don't really under stand the psychological emotions that one goes through. I don't claim to have all the answers and of course I will receive training but I have found out that I love to talk about it and and love hearing other peoples stories. It's very therapeutic

And (drum roll please) The number 1 thing to be thankful for is I'm Alive!!! I've not just been given 1 do over but 4 so please God don't let me screw this up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read with interest your entire "blog history". I've been through many emotions with you, for you and about you. You're right there's much for us to be thankful for. I just want you to know how thankful I am for you. You have an amazing story and I'm proud to be part of it.
Cathy

Rick O'Shay said...

I can thank of no one else I could go through this with. You've been very patient and I owe you the thanks.

unrundad said...

My blog address is http://unrundad-richardsramblings.blogspot.com/
If this does not get you in let me know

Lesley said...

What you've been through really puts it all in perspective. It's wonderful to be alive and it's wonderful to get 2nd chances (or 3rd, or 4th...) and the rest of it is just a bump in the road.

Dad 2 eight said...

Rick:
Thanks for your testimony that inspires faith in each of us. You may have heard the story about St. Teresa of Avila who while riding on the back of a cart was unceremoniously bounced off into a ditch. She raised her fist to God and said, " if this is how you treat your friends, it's no wonder you have so few of them." I love that story for some reason. It's a real response to the aggravations that befall us, even though we are Kingdom children. But "Father knows best."

bulletholes said...

I don't know you very well, but it seems like you have been put through some real paces.
Years ago a counselor asked me if I considered life a journey or a Destination.
It was so much a destination for me that i didn't even understand the question.
so i went through some tough times and found out about the journey.
Everything is alrighgt already, I'm thankful for that.

hey Rick!