Thursday, December 18, 2008

Old Friends - Missed Friends

I ran into an old friend last night. My wife and I have known Louis and his wife Cheryl since 1989 or 90. Then around 1997 we lost track of each other.
He had been the Music Director at Belmount Baptist Church in Temple Terrace Florida and had hired me as pianist for the church. Louis left the Church when a new pastor came on board. We really hated to see Bill Mitchell go as pastor but to have Louis leave also was equally bad.

But this is not what I want to talk about. About 2 years ago maybe a little less or more Louis's wife Cheryl died of cancer. I learned about it through a mutual friend who happened into where I worked one day. I was shocked. He told me Louis was back at our old church, Belmount Baptist. So I tried to contact him with out any luck.

I've been full of my own self pity any way so I put it out of my mind.

This brings me to my post subject. Why does God select one over another to take. Cheryl had a family. A loving husband and two bright eager kids who loved and needed her. From what I remember about her she served her Lord and family faithfully. She was every thing a mother and wife should be. She was fun to be around, yet quiet and unassuming. She was never afraid to give her opinion but didn't force the issue and served quietly in the back ground. She was a really good person. Not selfish, or boastful. I wish I could have gotten to know her better.

Cancer is usually not a quick death. To have your children live through that with you must be a hard thing to say the least. I don't know how long Cheryl knew or her kids knew or how long Louis knew. I know people who have suffered for years and others not so long.

When I saw him, Louis, last night he seemed at peace. He had a joy in his heart that only comes from one place. We had been to the Glen Beck's "Christmas Sweater" It was about Glen's journey through his storm. Louis has been through a storm. I have been through a different storm. Every one goes through a storm or storms of life.

One thing I have done in my blog has been selfishly talking about how I got through my storm and not thought about my wife and how she dealt with it or the rest of my family not knowing if I would survive and how they worried. I am sorry.

But seeing Louis and seeing how he is dealing with his storm is an inspiration. Even though we only spent 30 minutes talking. I feel he has started moving on and is going to be okay.
Louis I wish we would have stayed in touch with you and Cheryl. I count Cheryl as a friend and will miss her. I hope we can rekindle our friendship and I want to hear all about Cheryl's life since 1997

4 comments:

bulletholes said...

Hey rick!
You've seen what happened to me the last few weeks. If the diseases are not bad enough, and the Co-dependent relationships that are created between patient and families are not complex enough, i just want to say this....

I got my initiation at the pharmacy counter a few days ago.
I'll blog the details someday, but when I left there I was in another type of Diabetic Shock when the lady said my meds would run $850.00.
After they revived me they got it down to $250.
A Medical Miracle!
I left feeling vulnerable,like I had just played a game of 3 Card Molly.

Rick O'Shay said...

I've had $200.00 prescription bills but most of my meds are generics now. Last week I only spent $100.00
I would die if they were 850.00
I often wonder how I would be able to afford medications if I did not have insurance.

Lesley said...

That's sad about Cheryl. My mom died of cancer at way too early an age as well, and she was such a wonderful person too. I don't think God chooses one over another, I think we take our chances when we come to earth, and God does what he can to get us through, but we have to take the good and the bad. I'm glad your friend Louis is doing ok.

Anonymous said...

Those were precious times at Belmont Baptist Church...many of whom are no longer on this earth but we can look forward to a sweet reunion someday in heaven. Thanks for the touching post. Will be good to get reconnected. Merry Christmas!! Love in Christ, Kris Neldner