Monday, January 5, 2009

I'm such a Scrooge

This has been the best Christmas ever. Why? Because I became a "Scrooge"
Not because I turned my heart against Christmas. Well in a way I did. I turned my heart away from the Christmas Trap. You know the Trap that starts, most people say, the day after Thanksgiving, but actually it's the day after Halloween when the decorations go up.

I have to admit I did not want to get our trappings down from the attic. "You know honey I have had some poor health issues this year and I don't think I can go up and down, up and down, to get those boxes down. Especially that big tree that weights a ton and barely fits through the hole in the attic." This is what I told my wife. " Well get what you can and I'll help you when I get home" her reply. Mine Sighhhh!!!!

I don't think you realize how much Christmas crap we have collected in the 22 years we have been married. (forgive me Lord I shouldn't have said crap and Christmas in the same sentence) but Santa Clauses of every shape and color, race. Snow men in globes snow angels snow men nativity scenes, snow men who light up and change colors a lot of stuff given by friends and coworkers put out not to hurt feelings. This is crap.

We have carollers of every shape and size, and every country we visit we buy a nativity from that country I don't know why.

I admit I used to be into it. 10 15 years ago. We would go antiquing and see a caroler or Santa or antique ornament and we do have some nice stuff but enough already.

Nutcrackers did I mention those. African safari animal ornaments are all that are allowed on our tree. And the tree looks amazing I must admit. My wife does a great job with it.

But the Scrooginess is catching. Cathy agreed we had too much stuff and so we only put out a few things. The big Nativity and a couple antique ones. A couple carollers. The tree of course. And hung some stockings. Less is better. It always looked cluttered before.

All my gifts were home made or free promotional products from work. Like T-shirts with sport logos and our hospital logo on them also cardiac medical company t-shirts (Scrooge right?). I also took some snap shots of my nephews and their familes during Thanksgiving and printed one in black in white which I put in a frame from the dollar store and 1 8X10 color for each of them hardly cost any thing. Pluse each got a set of heart shaped playing cards also a promotional item from the hospital I worked for. Free (more Scrooginess) Of course my parents each got a 10 dollar gift. A very thoughtful 10 dollar gift. Very very thoughtful gift. I know you think I'm cheep. No I'm a Scrooge.

And not being anxious about finding the right gift I found my self relaxed, made a few goodies for the neighbors and had a good time just spending time with friends and family.

So Am I A Scrooge? I think in a good way. You know the day after the 3 spirits visits Ebenezer. After all he was still Scrooge, at least I don't think he changed his name.

So I'm getting away from trying to out give.
I could never out give any one in my family any way. The best thing to give is your Scroogy self.

Ba Hum Bug to the Trappings. They're easy to trip over.

Rick O'Scrooge out.


By the way, don't tell Cathy, but we have some really nice Christmas decrative items for sale cheep. Just drop me a line.

5 comments:

Lesley said...

I was a total scrooge this year too, because we had just moved and the last thing I wanted to do was unpack more boxes just to decorate the house! I have a lot of Christmas villages, but those stayed packed this year. I got out my 2 nativities and decorated the tree that's it. Plus if you're decorating who has time to really enjoy the season?

Rick O'Shay said...

That's the Christmas spirit Moody.

bulletholes said...

Man, I love the attitude of this post, but I have to disagree with you being Scrooge because you came to appreciate a simple precept of the Christmas Story.
'Less is more" 'GETTING AWAY FROM TRYING TO OUTGIVE"
Man, thats great!
No, you aren't Scrooge...you are the one that brought the only thing they had to the Nativity...no spices, no riches, just a kid with a drum....
Hey, isn't ethere another story about a simple Christmas Gift? it eludes me right now, but like your story, its all about whats really important.
Hey Ric'O! I been wonderin' bout cha!

Ron said...

Crap huh… I suppose the Elvis nativity scene I gave you was this crap you speak of? Sorry about your little heart attack (if there was one). Maybe this whole heart thing was a shame from the get-go. Yeah, that’s it, a pre-Christmas maneuver to get out of displaying the baby Jesus, or as you say, “Crap.”

Which ghost of Christmas made you buy all these nativity scenes? (oops, I mean crap)

It’s funny how the truth always slips through in a blog post. Be honest, your finger paused over the publish button a good 15 seconds before you hit it, right?

How dare you compare yourself to Scrooge? He didn’t live a 22 year lie. No sir, you knew where you stood with Mr. Scrooge; he didn’t put things out to protect feelings or pretend to like Christmas. Say what you want about the man, but he did have a spine.

So you’re really the reverse of Scrooge. You had the spirit (you say) then lost it. Mr. Scrooge never had it, and then got it.

The name you should’ve used is Egoorcs, which is Scrooge spelled backwards (or in reverse). Talk about Freudian, look at the first three letters of Egoorcs, (Ego) now look at the last three, (rcs). Put it together and add the letter (i) and you got Egoorics, or Ego-Ric. Wow how the plot thickened. Only an egomaniac thinks they can cancel Christmas on a whim.

How deep does this thing go? Did you chuckle while wrapping used t-shirts? How about the goodies you made? Did you moisten your finger before sticking it in the batter? If you ask me, you’re one fruitcake away from a meltdown.

Let’s review just so we’re clear. You called the baby Jesus and his home, “crap.” You only allowed African safari animals ornaments when you did put up a tree, (screams racism). Apparently when carolers show up at your house, you’re amused by their shape, size, and color, (screams Archie Bunker). And you’ve sullied the good name of Ebenezer Scrooge, which if I remember correctly, he found the true meaning of Christmas. To top it all off, you got your wife to play your reindeer games.

I bet you wished you had those 15 seconds back, maybe you would’ve hit delete, instead of publish. Every blog post tells a story and I just defined yours.

Rick O'Shay said...

Yea Ron's back.
Only our Santa Clauses and Nativites are of other races. Not our Carolers. Carolers are Ye Olde English. That's why they stayed in the box except for Tom Cratched and Tiny Tim. As for the Tree? It matches the decor of the family room which is mostly Africian.
Actually most every thing stayed in the box this year as I said in the post.
You're going to burst an artery some day bro.
But it was fun reading your coment.
I'm glad you were tired I'd hate to see what you would have written if you had been in your right mind.